Traditional candles are made with paraffin wax which is a by-product of the petroleum industry and should be considered a non-renewable energy source. When burned they release carcinogenic toxins such as benzene, toluene, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein and soot into the air. The emissions from paraffin candles contain many of the same toxins produced by burning diesel fuel.
Annual statistics from the NFPA & USFA report candles cause an estimated 15,260 fires in residential structures, 166 civilian fire deaths, 1289 civilian fire injuries and $450 million in direct property damage in the USA each year. They also estimate that 30+ % of these fatal candle fires occurred in dwellings where the electric power had been disconnected or where there was a power outage.
There are many causes of accidental candle fires. The use of flashlights and battery powered lanterns provide a greater level of fire safety than candles. However most residences are lucky to have enough battery power to provide one hour of emergency illumination. Herein lies the problem, because individuals become creative during extended duration power outages. This is where we see the misuse of candles that may be lying around the house; including the number “7” or “9” birthday candles, the old Santa Clause candles, souvenir religious candles, tea candles etc…… Why take the chance and put your family’s safety at risk.
Kevin’s Kandles are an excellent alternative. They provide a viable “survival-in-place” source of emergency illumination that are much safer than traditional candles.
It is important to note that Kevin’s Kandles are still candles with an open flame and must be respected accordingly.